2005/01/31

How to write Firefox extensions

How to write Firefox extensions: "Creating Firefox extensions

Contents

1. Learn By Example
2. Hello, world!
3. Looking inside the XPI
4. Re-configuring your extension's installation
5. Chrome is more than a shiny bumper
6. Skin that cat
7. Pack it up and try it out
8. An easier way to re-build
9. My Firefox got completely hosed up
10. Ensure server compatibility
11. Additonal help and information
12. Comments / Feedback

Learn by example

Everyone has a good idea at one time or another to implement a new feature in a web browser. Well, with the goodness that is Mozilla Firefox, now you can do just that. You need to have a vague understanding of XUL and Javascript, but you certainly don't need to be a master of either. When I started, I knew nothing about either one, really. I had seen some bookmarklets here and there, and tried to figure out just how they worked. Well, that's how I made my first extension, BugMeNot, which was used as a point of reference in my first tutorial that I wrote. If you'd like to see that tutorial instead of a generic 'Hello, world!' example, you can see it here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home